Rating: Loved (Hated-Disliked-Okay-Liked-Loved)
Awful, awful cover, great story.
Set on some fantasy (yet sort of Earth-like) world, the story's POV switches between two main characters. Lowell, who was born a "waer" (werewolf), and Lycaea, who was made one against her will as a punishment. Lowell's peaceful life is shattered when the neighboring evil nation invades, throwing him and Lycaea together.
There were soooooo many good things about this book:
- Lycaea's journey through the story to accept herself. No character development felt forced, they all took their time to grow and it felt perfectly natural and realistic.
- The relationship -- this book reminded me that I don't hate relationships in books, I just hate badly written ones.
- The worldsetting -- we visited so many different places, met so many different people, and I loved them all.
- The twist, which I can't describe at all, but once it came to light I immediately wanted to go back and start reading the book from the beginning again in light of that new information. :D
The things I didn't like were minor:
- Some of the names were too reflective of the characters. The bad guy was named Daemon (demon), the female waer was named Lycaes (Lycan -- werewolf).
- The accents of the people of the story's various nations were RL ones (Welsh, Australian, British), and that kind of knocked me out of the story a bit.
But all in all, this was a wonderful story. The author stated that she was working on it for 10 years, and I believe it. I'm so in love with her. Her reason for writing about werewolves:
My reason for writing about werewolves is distressingly nerdy. During high school my best friend Jenn and I had an elaborate two-person live-action-roleplay going on. We only spoke to each other in character for about a year. While I was still figuring out my character, Jenn passed me a note in class that read ‘the werewolves are in danger’. After that, my character (Lycaea, in her earliest form) was a werewolf and I started to develop her backstory, which ended up being Waer.
She seems like someone I'd really enjoy knowing.